Time for Classic’s Spin 2! Last March when The Classic’s Club held their first Classic’s Spin I tried to make it more social and interactive by populating most of my list with books that other bloggers had placed on their list. Number 14 was chosen which was Proust’s Contre Sainte-Beuve. That was not a book on anyone else’s list but in retrospect was very glad it was chosen. It was not a book I was particularly motivated to read but found it provided great insight into what Proust was up to. It clarified many things for me that were lost in the sheer volume of Recherché and led me to want to reread the larger work again.
However good that experience was I want to make sure I get the more social and interactive version this time around by selecting ONLY books chosen by other bloggers. And since six weeks is a long time, I’ll try to get through an additional book for each number. Although I must admit the combinations for #6 Middlemarch & Tess of the d’Urbervilles and #16 Buddenbrooks & Master and Margarita may be a bit much.
This time around Brona at Brona’s Books is doing the same thing so some of the selections (e.g., #4, #18) could have up to four of us reading the same book. Happy Reading!
1. Pushkin-Eugene Onegin (Half-filled Attic)/Aristophanes-Lysistrata (Sarah Read Too Much)
2. Confucius-Analects (A Horse and Carrot)/Buck-The Good Earth (Brona’s Books, Tiny Library)
3. Zola-Germinal (Bronas Books, Book Rhapsody, Cat)/Zola-The Ladies Paradise (Books and Chocolate)
4. Austen-Sense & Sensibility (Surgabukuku)/Mafouz-Palace of Desire (Wandering in the Stacks)
5. Woolf-To the Lighthouse (Cat)/Conrad-The Secret Agent (Half-filled Attic)/Fitzgerald-The Beautiful and the Damned (Tiny Library)
6. Eliot-Middlemarch (A Horse and a Carrot)/Hardy-Tess of the d’Urbervilles (Brona’s Books, Lakeside Musing)
7. Orwell-Burmese Days (From Isi)/Wilde-The Canterville Ghost (Surgabukuku)
8. Emerson-Essays (Classics Club)/Shakespeare-Richard III (Fanda)
9. Zola-Nana (Books and Chocolate)/Shakespeare-Richard III (Classics Club)
10. Dafoe-Moll Flanders (Brona’s Books, Under a Gray Sky)/Nabokov-Lolita (Literary Nerds Unite)
11. Machado de Assis-Dom Casmurro (Book Rhapsody)/Flaubert-Sentimental Education (Books and Chocolate)
12. Zola-L’Assommoir (All Things Booker)/Wilde-The Canterville Ghost (Fanda)
13. Nabakov-Lolita (Under a Gray Sky, The Book Wheel)/Fitzgerald-The Beautiful and the Damned (Unscripted35)
14. Gissing-New Grub Street (Books and Chocolate)/Woolf-To the Lighthouse (Brona’s Books, From Isi)
15. Fitzgerald-Curious Case of Benjamin Button (Fanda)/Eliot-Middlemarch (Under a Gray Sky)
16. Mann-Buddenbrooks (Book Rhapsody)/Bulgakov-Master and Margarita (Brona’s Books, Wandering in the Stacks)
17. Nabokov-Pale Fire (Lost Generation Reader)/Frank-Diary of Anne Frank (A Horse and a Carrot)
18. Swift-Gulliver’s Travels (Fanda)/Frank-Diary of Anne Frank (Brona’s Books, Classics Club, Surgabukuku)/Gissing-The Odd Woman (Cat)
19. Schreiner-The Story of an African Farm (Literary Nerds Unite)/DuBois-The Souls of Black Folk (Classic Vasilly)
20. Naipaul-A House for Mr. Biswas (Cat)/DuBois-The Souls of Black Folk (Wandering in the Stacks)